2023 NSSBE Conference
February 24-25, 2023
University of Iowa
Dr. Dan Moore, host
It is with great pleasure that we invite you to the 2023 meeting of the National Society of Steel Band Educators Conference on the campus of the University of Iowa. The conference will take place in the beautiful Voxman Music Building, located in the heart of downtown Iowa City, on February 24-25, 2023. The tentative conference schedule is below. This is not a conference you want to miss!
2023 NSSBE Tentative Conference Schedule
Friday, February 24th
- 1:00pm Check-in (Voxman Lobby)
- 2:00 pm Steelpan recording workshop– Hands On (Percussion Suite)
- 5:00 pm Dinner/ Vendor Time
- 7:30 pm Iowa Steel Band with Victor Provost, NSSBE Host Concert (Concert Hall)
Saturday, February 25th
- 7:30am Coffee & Check-in (Voxman Lobby)
- 8:00am Dr. Chris Tanner: President’s Welcome (2400 VOX)
- 8:15am Victor Provost: “Hit the Pan Running: Beginning Improvisation in the Steel Band Classroom” (2400 VOX)
- 9:30am Panel Discussion (recital hall)
- 10:45am Larnell Lewis: “Get organized behind the drums!” (Concert Hall)
- 12:00pm Lunch/ Vendor Time (on your own)
- 1:45pm Joy Lapps-Lewis: “Introduction to Steelband Arranging” (2400 Vox)
- 3:00pm Northern Illinois University Steel Band 50th Anniversary Celebration Concert (Concert Hall)
- 4:30pm Dinner/ Vendor Time
- 7:30pm Larnell Lewis with Joy Lapps-Lewis & Friends, NSSBE Closing Concert (Concert Hall)
It is easy get to Iowa City from pretty much anywhere in the country. The Eastern Iowa Airport (CID), is a medium sized airport located near Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, IA. At present, there are 17 nonstop
domestic flights to and from CID.
It is a 27-minute drive from the airport to Iowa City and there are shuttle services, taxis (reserved ahead of time), and various other transportation available. Iowa City is also within a five-hour drive from: Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Madison, Milwaukee, Omaha, and many other cities.
There are rental cars at the airport but you won’t need a car to get around. Everything at NSSBE will happen in downtown Iowa City, which is surrounded by more than 50 restaurants, shopping, and a world class art museum—all within walking distance of the Voxman Music Building and the Convention Hotel. We have made arrangements for NSSBE at the Hilton Garden Inn, which is located directly across the street from Voxman.
Hilton Garden Inn Iowa City Downtown University (SOLD OUT) – Other options below
Iowa House Hotel
125 N Madison St.
Iowa City, Iowa 52245
Element Iowa City
314 S Clinton St.
Iowa City, Iowa 52240
Graduate Iowa City
210 S Dubuque St.
Iowa City, Iowa 52240
Registration Info: Registration to the conference includes a light breakfast, including coffee, on Saturday morning. Lunch on Saturday, and dinner on both evenings will be on your own.
- Professional $125 (must be a current NSSBE member)
- Vendor – $100 (plus professional registration)- includes up to two tables (4×8) ***Vendor portion invoiced separately after contacting John Willmarth (JWillmarth@dorchester2.k12.sc.us).***
- Student: $25 registration (must be a current NSSBE member)
The registration form is below. We look forward to seeing you in Iowa City!
Conference Program: 2023 NSSBE Conference Program